Tuesday, June 24, 2014

7 Mile Run Recap

I set out for a run last Friday, a 6 mile run. As I ran down the hill towards the park on the harbor my legs screamed out in pain. Shin splints, I had them. I had only made it 1.65 miles into my run and I sat down at a picnic table wanting to cry. I started my self pity party and walked back to my house. I had finally overdone it, my legs gave in. John immediately got the ice packs and the pain reliever and I put my legs up. It's ok to take a break. Sometimes pushing through the pain just isn't an option.
I still did my cross training with my wonderful trainer and buddies at the gym. My arms and legs are becoming toned and strong. So, it's not all bad.
Today, after a weekend of running rest and relaxation I strapped on my running shoes and readied myself for my first 7 mile run. I was not confident about it at all. I will be honest, it was probably one of my slowest long runs because again my legs were screaming. I ignored it, I pushed on. I got to mile 3.5 and took a quick break for GU gel (ew ew ew, it tasted like warm vanilla pudding. I think I'll stick to Clif shot bloks). I started to run again after much gagging and retching due to the GU treat that I had just had. My leg pain had gone away! I felt a renewed sense of fight and battled on through the second 3.5  leg.
When I got finished I felt amazing. I felt like I had climbed the Everest of running. 9 miles is going to be my big accomplishment, that will be the farthest I've ever run.

I've had some weird  running "symptoms":

Bloody shoe- Sometimes in the middle of a long run I feel like my shoe is filling up with blood. I don't know why it would be, but I can't shake the feeling. It never really is though.

Phantom Blister- Usually under my right big toe I'm certain that there's bound to be a monster of a blister forming when I end my run. Not so, it's never there.

GU Gel almost barfing-I downed a vanilla GU gel today at mile 3.5 and I immediately spent the next 2 minutes retching and gagging on the side of the road. It was probably a very attractive sight.

The "This is my Jam" running push- Sometimes my iPhone plays a really ridiculous song, and it almost always comes during the last 1-2 miles of my run. Some favorites "Magic Dance"-The Labyrinth Soundtrack "Work Bitch"-Britney Spears and really any 80s classic rock anthems.

What are some odd running symptoms you've dealt with?

-Lindsey



3 comments:

  1. I often think that some crazy person will hit me with their car,and try to remember road names/numbers and lisence plates, except without my glasses I can't see until they are basically past me, so basically if this happens I'll never be able to tell 911 jack. I get the phantom blister thing, it could be because you have calouses alread where you think its forming, thats what usually happens to me. Though sometimes I have found a blister within a blister, those are fun. Idk about gu gels I don't use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had shin splits in March and April. They were not fun but they remind us that it IS okay to take a break! We can't be hardcore all the time, lol! I hope you have some taper weeks in your training, they are sooooooooo helpful!!!
    I also hate the GU gels! I love the GU chomps - they remind me of gummies - so yummy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get the phantom blister feeling! Also sometimes I feel like my toenails are coming loose or something. It's very strange.

    I don't mind the GU gels but right now I am loving the shot bloks!

    ReplyDelete