Monday, December 30, 2013

Baby planning and Standard of Care Issues

Hi all!
I hope you had a lovely and entertaining holiday with your families and friends. Our holidays were busy, on top of hectic, with a dash of crazy. My stress even manifested itself in the form of a stye in my left eye. Be thankful if you have no clue what one of those is.
I decided it would be better to start my post holiday posts with something decidedly non-holiday/resolution/etc. Baby Planning.
I know that many of you are going to say that you can't exactly plan a baby. You can start trying to get pregnant during a certain time frame, but your actual date of conception and due date are at the mercy of a higher power.
Husband and I have been talking a lot about when we would like to try for baby #2 and we are both very sure as to when. This also brought about the discussion of prenatal care. I'm not sure if you understand how military health care works so I'll break down simply. There are two types of Tricare, Standard and Prime. Those who are at E-6 and above pay grade are given a choice between the two. The most prominent difference being that you do not pay any type of deductible for medical care under Prime. Of course we chose Prime being that we weren't interested in paying if we didn't have to. There is a major problem with this. The level of care that you receive in military facilities where pregnancy is concerned is adequate at best.
My experiences during my first pregnancy have lead me to decide to switch to Standard for my next baby so I can see a private doctor. Let me walk you through a pregnancy with Prime and strictly military health facilities. When you call the doctor to confirm pregnancy they tell you to come in for a blood test. No ultrasound. The blood test confirms your pregnancy and you are assigned to an OBGYN. In my case, the OBGYN visits took place in the Army hospital. Upon my first visit I was kind of jarred by the fact that I had to take a number from a Deli machine and wait until my number was called. First red flag.
I was never guaranteed that I would see the same OBGYN, nope I got whoever was available. I don't understand how they could see important factors that might lead them to believe that I had issues/complications. This was a major problem because I did have an issue, I had a condition known as Hypermesis Gravidarum (HG).

"Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is generally described as unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids. If severe and/or inadequately treated, it is typically associated with:
  • loss of greater than 5% of pre-pregnancy body weight (usually over 10%)
  • dehydration and production of ketones
  • nutritional deficiencies
  • metabolic imbalances
  • difficulty with daily activities" (HER Foundation, 2013).
If I'd had the same OBGYN the entire time she would have noticed that I was gradually losing about 20 lbs throughout my pregnancy. That I was getting sick so often that I turned up at the ER because my throat was bleeding. That I could barely get through daily activities without vomiting.
(At 26 weeks most women are complaining about gaining too much weight and swelling. My pants were falling down because I had lost too much weight.)

Eating was a daily challenge, I knew that I had to put healthy foods into my body to nourish my developing baby. The doctor finally noticed my significant weight loss after I was well into my second trimester. I was put on an anti-nausea med that is most often prescribed to cancer patients going through chemo therapy. In order to be able to even look at food or keep it down I had to take this medication regularly.
The story does have a good ending however. My daughter was born two weeks early, and she was an adorably healthy little peanut at 6 lbs 9.5oz. I finished my BA in Health and Wellness this past year, and because of what I had gone through I became vigilant about researching prenatal health. I had no idea that there was an actual name for the condition that I had. I learned that I should expect and fight for a better standard of care for myself and my unborn child. If you don't do it, no one will. My next pregnancy will be better, because I will make sure that I am given the care that I need.

6 comments:

  1. Most excellent information. I was lucky to have Tricare prime with Aeryn. I proceeded to the Military Hospital, mainly for nostalgic reasons, as I was born there too. My care wasn't too bad. I did see my midwife regularly, but only had two ultrasounds. I think I had, at most, three checks ups, but I'm pretty sure it was less. I was told not to come to the hospital unless my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart, and living in the DC area made me uneasy, as traffic is HORRENDOUS during rush hours. I only lived 20 minutes away, but you add traffic, people coming off of post, and it would take me an hour and half to get there. So, I understand your mistrust. I'm in Tricare Reserve Select now, and plan on doing more research with our next "planned" baby. Best wishes and Happy New Year to you!! <3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in CT there is no military hospital or services for OBGYN so you have to be seen out in town. Look into the providers that are covered by prime, you may be able to switch back and save some money. I was seen by a midwife in New London, she was awesome! But she was not on call so she didn't deliver our baby. I delivered at L&M and we loved the staff and the rooms were large and comfortable. Just some information to check out. You can find a list of prime providers on tricare online if you want to check it out. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the info Tiff! I hadn't made the switch to standard yet, so now that I know that I can go out on town I will look into my options with Prime. I've also heard a lot of great things about L&M, to the point where I want to work there. This is all great news, yay!

      Delete
  3. Though I haven't gone into labor, I have worked in the medical field and had to advocate for my health often enough that I can echo what you've said. Just like I many other facets of the world, money talks. Having a ppo (like standard Tricare) means you can take your money elsewhere if it's not getting the service you believe you deserve. HMOs don't pay mds in that way, so you get less choice. Sometimes It's a bargain but often it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like making the switch in plans will be best for you and future babies. It will definitely be worth the cost for the peace of mind and better care. This was a very interesting and informative post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think people explore their healthcare options enough, because they often feel stuck. :S

      Delete